Caprese Chicken Bake with Balsamic Reduction

8 Apr

This Italian dish is a fresh take on traditional pasta and tomato sauce. Simple to make and full of flavor. This is another Pinterest inspired recipe, but this time I took a few things from two different dishes. The end product was great! But to be fair, soaking just about anything in a balsamic reduction would be pretty awesome…

Caprese Chicken Bake

Caprese Chicken BakeĀ

2 pints of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1/4 red onion, julienned
1/4 cup fresh basil, julienned (plus a little more for garnish)
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 chicken breasts
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
8 oz angel hair pasta, cooked according to box in salted water
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tsp sugar

1.) Place first 8 ingredients in a casserole dish and stir until well combined. Add chicken breasts and try to rub the chicken in the tomatoes to transfer some of the olive oil and seasoning, then place chicken breasts on top of tomatoes. Salt and pepper liberally.
2.) Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Remove fromĀ oven and place 1/3 of the mozzarella on each breast. Place chicken back in oven for about 10 more minutes. Exact time will vary based on the size of the breasts, so check to make sure they are done.
3.) While chicken is baking, place vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until vinegar has thickened and sticks to a spoon. Watch that this doesn’t burn.
4.) When pasta is done cooking, toss in about a tablespoon of olive oil.
5.) Serve chicken and tomatoes on top of the angel hair pasta and drizzle the balsamic reduction over top.

Caprese Chicken Bake1

Caprese Chicken Bake2

Caprese Chicken Bake3

Caprese Chicken Bake4

Adapted from Our Story’s Italian Chicken and The Novice Chef’s Caprese Chicken

8 Responses to “Caprese Chicken Bake with Balsamic Reduction”

1. Jhuls April 9, 2014 at 2:51 am #

You are always torturing me with your recipes!! LOL! :D

This looks really delicious!! I guess I have to buy balsamic vinegar for this. :)

• biscuitsncrazy April 9, 2014 at 5:32 am #

Lol! Sorry! :)

• Jhuls April 9, 2014 at 5:35 am #

That’s fine. :D I will make sure to buy balsamic vinegar the next time I do my groceries. ;)

• biscuitsncrazy April 9, 2014 at 5:56 am #

We’ll have to come up with some more balsamic vinegar recipes so you get good use out of it! :)

• Jhuls April 9, 2014 at 5:58 am #

You should! ;) This will be on my list! I will keep you informed. Thanks for sharing! <3

2. misterk3 April 9, 2014 at 7:18 am #

great post, love it!

• calistagirl October 19, 2014 at 11:18 pm #

Looking forward to making this tonight. I LOVE basil so I will triple the amount. I have some lovely orange coloured cherry tomatoes and may twist things up and use thigh meat. Omitting the pasta (unable to eat gluten and don’t like GF pasta) but will serve with a bed of spinach.
      Love altering recipes and this one looks amazing!

• biscuitsncrazy October 21, 2014 at 8:20 pm #

That sounds great! Let me know how it turns out!